Justin Walsh, Ph.D., Chair
Associate Professors: Chimenti, Halloran, Hebron, Jaenichen, Shafer, Walsh;
Instructional Associate Professor: Kiddie;
Assistant Professors: Buono, Larkin, Shalat.
Admittance to the department and B.F.A. programs is by departmental application and review. Please see the Art Department’s Change of Major or Minor website.
The mission of the Department of Art is to educate students about the images and objects that influence their perceptions of contemporary life and to prepare them to participate in shaping the world. The curriculum of the art department prepares students for graduate studies in art history and studio art and to work professionally as graphic designers.
- Student-organized department exhibitions each semester.
- Sophomore and junior graphic design portfolio assessment.
- Senior studio exhibitions.
- Sophomore through senior graphic design internships.
- Senior graphic design OC Portfolio review.
- Internships in museums, galleries, design studios.
- Gallery exhibition program.
- Student ceramics bi-annual sale.
- Bensussen Distinguished Lecture in the Arts.
- Visual Thinkers Lecture series.
- Margo Pawell Design Symposium.
- Graphic design newsletter.
- Art history student club.
- Undergraduate art history symposium.
- Chapman University What is Art? Club.
The art faculty awards departmental honors to students who have produced outstanding work in their area. Requirements for consideration include departmental GPA of 3.500, a proven and sustained investment in creative, intellectual and scholarly inquiry and demonstration of original and critical thinking in all department academic work culminating in a final exhibition of work, final portfolio or final draft and presentation of a senior thesis.
All courses in the major must be taken for a letter grade and passed with a “C” or higher, unless specifically noted.
DegreesBachelor of ArtsBachelor of Fine ArtsMinor
CoursesArtArt HistoryGraphic DesignPage: 1