Admission to the program and prerequisites
Admission to the program may be achieved by completion of the following requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Have achieved the required admission grade point average as specified in the admission section. Applicants with a grade point average between 2.75 and 3.00 are required to submit passing scores from one of the following standard admission tests:
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
- California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET): Achieve a passing score.
Transfer of coursework
Up to six credits may be transferred into the program. Requests for transfer are submitted on a petition to transfer graduate degree coursework. Requests must meet transfer policies specified in the academic policies and procedures section and must be approved by the program coordinator and the dean of the Attallah College of Educational Studies.
Demonstration of mastery
Students must be advanced to candidacy, have a cumulative GPA of 3.000 and have completed all core courses, 35 credits, to meet the minimum eligibility requirements to take the comprehensive examination. The student must pass a written comprehensive examination that covers all of the required coursework. The examination may be attempted upon completion of the program core courses. A maximum of two attempts are allowed. (See Academic Policies and Procedures for additional guidelines.)
Requirements for Master of Arts in Special Education with Preliminary Special Education Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Credentials degree
Students pursuing the Master of Arts in Special Education with Preliminary Special Education Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Credentials degree are held to the University’s Academic Policies and Procedures . In addition these specific degree standards apply:
- Minimum grade “C+” or above required in all coursework.
- Maintain 3.000 GPA in the degree.
- Complete Demonstration of mastery.
The following courses make up the M.A. in Special Education with Preliminary Special Education Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe Credentials curriculum: