The B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis, Piano Area is intended for undergraduate students with a serious commitment to pursue the highest level of piano performance. The preparational emphasis is on performance but includes excellence in the classroom. This program combines a conservatory-style sequence of music theory, history, chamber music, and piano literature and pedagogy courses with a full liberal arts education. Dedicated to a comprehensive and versatile educational approach, the piano area is known for the personal attention students receive, supporting the individual musical interests of each student within the program of study. The program is intended to prepare students for entrance to graduate school and for the world of professional music as performers, teachers, and collaborators as well as music administrators, entrepreneurs, technologists, and therapists.
General education requirements for the Bachelor of Music Performance, instrumental emphasis - piano area
Students may take any language to satisfy the GE language requirement, except Ancient Greek and ASL.
Additional degree information
Specific transfer requirements, proficiency requirements, applied music policies, minimum grade policy, retake course policy, are listed at General Information for all Music Programs . Requirements for lessons and studio classes are listed at Applied Music Courses .
The B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis-Piano Area may be combined with the B.M. Composition degree, both emphases and with the B.M. (Pre-Music Education Certification) degree, both emphases to satisfy the GE interdisciplinary cluster requirement. The B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis-Piano Area may be combined with the Conducting, KCA, and Vocal Emphases of the B.M. Performance degree, but this does not satisfy the GE interdisciplinary cluster requirement. The BM in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis-Piano Area cannot be combined with the General Music minor, but may be combined with the Film Music, Music Technology, and Music Business minors.
Program Learning Outcomes and Educational Effectiveness Evaluation Plans for B.M. in Music Performance.
Students pursuing the B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis - piano area are required to:
- Pass the Piano Proficiency Requirement.
- Take jury exams at the end of each semester of applied lessons.
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.000 for all required major courses.
- Complete all courses in the major for a letter grade. The only exceptions are studio classes, recitals and information literacy classes.
- Pass courses with a minimum grade of "C" in all required courses in music theory, music history, music cultures, and music technology.
- Complete a minimum of 31 credits from upper-division courses in the major.
- Complete the senior capstone requirement MUS 498E - Senior Recital in Instrumental Performance, Piano Area - Full Solo Program .