The mission of the program is to develop change agents, professionals who will pursue social justice side-by-side with people with disabilities. Candidates should be prepared to believe in and be advocates for the absolute dignity of all people, including those with labels of disability.
The Preliminary Education Specialist Credential is embedded in the master’s degree.
In keeping with the Attallah College of Educational Studies commitment to developing global citizenship, students are encouraged to consider participating in at least one international learning experience during the course of their program
Admission to the program and prerequisites
Admission to the program may be achieved by completion of the following requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Have achieved the required admission grade point average as specified in the admission section. Applicants with a grade point average between 2.75 and 3.00 are required to submit passing scores from one of the following standard admission tests:
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
- California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET): Achieve a passing score.
Demonstration of mastery
Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.000 and have completed all core courses, 50 credits, to meet the minimum eligibility requirements to take the comprehensive examination. The student must pass a written comprehensive examination that covers all of the required coursework. The examination may be attempted upon completion of the program core courses. A maximum of two attempts are allowed. (See Academic Policies and Procedures for additional guidelines.)
Requirements for the Master of Arts in Special Education with Joint Preliminary Special Education Mild/Moderate and Multiple Subject Credential degree
Students pursuing the Master of Arts in Special Education with Joint Preliminary Special Education Mild/Moderate and Multiple Subject Credential degree are held to the University’s Academic Policies and Procedures. In addition these specific degree standards apply:
- Minimum grade “C+” or above required in all coursework.
- Maintain 3.000 GPA in the degree.
- Complete Demonstration of mastery.
The following courses make up the M.A. in Special Education with Joint Preliminary Special Education Mild/Moderate and Multiple Subject Credential curriculum: