The Minor in General Music is designed to give students a background in music theory, music history and in music performance (both solo and ensemble settings). Students earning a B.M. degree or a B.A. in Music are not eligible for this minor.
Admissions process: Contact conservatory chair to determine if it is possible to complete the minor in time to graduated. If it is, you will be placed on the pre-minor list. After being placed on this list, you will be eligible to:
- Take the Music Theory Diagnostic Exam during Orientation week in August.
- Do an audition on your primary instrument.
- If you pass the audition, you may then submit the form declaring your music minor.
A minimum of 9 credits must be selected from upper-division courses.
The following policies are the same for the General Music Minor as required for music majors. See General Information for all Music Programs , for details.
- Transfer requirement.
- Music theory proficiency requirements.
- Sight singing proficiency requirement (General Music Minors with voice as instrument).
- Minimum grade requirements.
- Course re-take policy.