This program is intended for undergraduate students wanting to pursue classical guitar performance. The preparational emphasis is on performance but includes a strong academic component, as well as the general education required of all undergraduate students at Chapman. Our program is designed to help students achieve a professional level of proficiency. This includes a strong general base to train guitarists to be well-rounded and capable of a wide variety of techniques. Our program not only produces strong guitarists, but well-trained musicians with theoretical and historical knowledge. Graduates are prepared to attend competitive graduate school programs and start a career in this field.
General education requirements for the Bachelor of Music Performance, Instrumental Emphasis - Guitar Area
Students may take any language to satisfy the GE language requirement, except Ancient Greek and ASL.
Additional degree information
Specific transfer requirements, proficiency requirements, applied music policies, minimum grade policy, retake course policy, are listed at General Information for all Music Programs . Requirements for lessons and studio classes are listed at Applied Music Courses .
The B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis - Guitar Area may be combined with the B.M. Composition degree, both emphases, and with the B.M. (Pre-Music Education Certification) degree, both emphases, to satisfy the GE interdisciplinary cluster requirement. The B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis - Guitar Area may be combined with the Conducting, KCA, and Vocal Emphases of the B.M. Performance degree, but this does not satisfy the GE interdisciplinary cluster requirement. The B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis - Guitar Area cannot be combined with the General Music minor, but may be combined with the Music Technology, Film Music, and Music Business minors.
Program Learning Outcomes and Educational Effectiveness Evaluation Plans for B.M. in Music Performance.
Students pursuing the B.M. in Performance, Instrumental Emphasis - Guitar Area are required to:
- Pass Piano Proficiency Requirement.
- Take jury exams at the end of each semester of applied lessons.
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.000 for all required major courses.
- Complete all courses in the major for a letter grade. The only exceptions are studio classes, recitals and information literacy classes.
- Pass courses with a minimum grade of “C” in all required courses in music theory, music history, music cultures, and music technology.
- Complete a minimum of 34 credits from upper-division courses in the major.
- Complete the senior capstone requirement MUS 498D - Senior Recital in Instrumental Performance, Guitar Area - Full Solo Program .