Admission to the program and prerequisites
To be considered for admission, applicants must submit the following:
- Application to the Master of Arts in International Studies program.
- Official degree-granting transcripts from all undergraduate and postgraduate degree granting institutions.
- A graduate admission test is required for applicants with a bachelor's degree cumulative GPA below a 3.000. Applicants with a GPA between 2.500 and 2.999, may be considered for admission by submitting a satisfactory Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with minimum scores of Verbal: 154, Quantitative: 147 and Analytical Writing: 4.0 or by demonstrating significant relevant professional experience.
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from an academic source, which describe your professional and academic abilities.
- A 1000-word essay addressing your background and interest in the field of international studies.
All students are expected to perform an international internship between their first and second year of study. These internships give students exposure to life and work overseas, while providing them an introduction into the field to which they aspire. For example, students who hope to pursue a career in the NGO arena will participate in an international internship with an NGO.
Additional special courses could be offered based on demand and faculty availability.
Requirements for the Master of Arts in International Studies degree
Students must complete 39 credits of academic work, enroll in 3 zero credit GUS 530 workshops, demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to having completed two courses in the language at the 300 level, complete a 240-hour international internship and successfully complete a master's thesis.
Students pursuing the Master of Arts in International Studies degree are held to the University's Academic Policies and Procedures . In addition these specific degree standards apply:
- Minimum grade "C+" or above required in all coursework.
- Maintain 3.000 GPA in the degree.
- Complete 39 credits.
- Successfully complete a master's thesis, and courses IS 694 , IS 698 .
The following courses make up the Master of Arts International Studies degree curriculum: